Health Benefits for Your Baby
Breastfeeding is good for babies.
Breastfeeding provides a lot of nutrition to the baby and reduces the risk of infections so you are less likely to have the worry of an ill baby, and less likely to have trips to the doctor or hospital.
- Breastfeeding reduces the risk of cot death.
- Breastfeeding reduces the chance of asthma or allergies
- Breastfeeding protects your baby from infections that you meet such as colds and flu
- Breastfed babies are not usually constipated
- Breastfeeding protects your baby from becoming overweight when older
- It's available whenever and wherever your baby needs a feed too
The longer you breastfeed, the longer the protection lasts and the greater the benefits.
Colostrum is the very first milk the baby gets after birth. It is full of anti infection cells which protect your new baby in those first few days. As time goes on your breast milk will change to meet your baby's changing needs.