Healthy Start

All pregnant teenagers under 18 are entitled to Healthy Start vouchers. These help you to buy fruit, vegetables or milk from registered retailers.

Once you are 18 or once you have your baby, then to carry on getting healthy Start help you need to be claiming:

  • Income support
  • Income based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Maximum Child Tax Credit with no entitlement to Working Tax Credit

This means that you cannot get Healthy start help If you, or a partner you live with, work 16 hours a week or more. Instead of Healthy start you will receive the Working Tax Credit.

Sure Start Maternity Grant

You can claim a grant to help you with the costs of a new baby If there are no other children under 16 In the family.

The grant can be claimed from jobcentre Plus 11 weeks before your baby is due (29 weeks pregnant) or within three months of your baby's birth. You must get the completed form stamped by your GP or midwife.

You (or a member of your family) must be receiving:

  • Income support
  • Income based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit of more than the family element
  • Working Tax Credit with a disability element
  • Pension credit

Links & Downloads

News & Top Tips