Housing Benefits

You could get housing benefit to help you pay your rent if you are on a low income. Housing benefit can pay for part or all of your rent. How much depends on your income and circumstances.

You can apply for Housing benefit whether you are unemployed or working. Housing benefit can't be paid for heating, hot water, energy or food.

How much you get depends on:

  • Your "eigible" rent (reasonable rent for a suitable property in your area)
  • If you have a spare room, your housing benefit could be reduced if you live in council or social housing (14% for 1 spare bedroom and 25% for 2 or more spare bedrooms).
  • Your household income
  • Your circumstance


Sharing Bedrooms

You are expected to share a bedroom if you are an adult couple, are 2 children under 16 of the same sex or 2 children under 10 (regardless of gender).

How you will get paid:

  • Council tenants - the money goes directly to your rent account (you won't receive this money)
  • Private tenants - paid into your bank or building society account.


Links & Downloads

News & Top Tips