If You Are On Low Income Or Not Working

WalletIf you're aged 16 or over and on a low income, you may be able to apply for financial help from the government, exactly how much you'll get will depend on your age and your personal circumstances.

Income Support

Income Support is extra money for those on a low Income or none at all, who are working less than 16 hours a week and haven't signed on as unemployed.

To claim, telephone 0800 055 66 SS or download the claim form from www.gov.uk

Job Seekers Allowance

To qualify you usually have to be over 18 years old, able and available for work. You must apply for JSA with Jobcentre Plus and go to an interview to agree what steps you'll take to find work.

To keep getting JSA you must report to Jobcentre Plus every 2 weeks about how your job search is going.

To claim telephone 0800 055 66 88 or on line at www.gov.uk

You can get an estimate of what benefits (eg Income Support or jobseeker's Allowance) and tax credits you could get, and find out about claiming specific benefits at www.gov.uk/benefits-adviser

Links & Downloads

News & Top Tips